Decompressing

So, Christmas is over, and I’m realizing that it’s been longer than I like between posts.  So, I thought I’d write a quick update.  Once I finished up the Christmas knitting, my needles were amazingly silent the week before Christmas.  There was just so much to do between last minute purchases, wrapping, cooking, Church and school.  Honestly, I’m glad it’s done!  Christmas was lovely, though.  As is our tradition, we avoided everyone and stayed home to a nice quiet day, just our little family.  We did manage to venture out in the evening to have Christmas with the in-laws. Then spent Boxing Day having Christmas with my family.

And, I am proud to announce that, thanks to my brother and his wife, I am now the proud owner of an 8GB (!!!) mp3 player with video – WOO HOO!!!  I’ve already downloaded a few books from Librivox, and am learning how to load podcasts – which I’m LOVING!!!!  So far I’ve listened to “Stash and Burn” which I really liked.  Next on the list is the Knitpicks podcast.  I also plan to head on over to my friend Ninja Kitten’s blog, where she has already done all the hard work and reviewed many knitting podcasts.  I intend to re-read her reviews before making decisions on which podcasts to try next.  WOO HOO!!!

Now as we head toward the new year, I wish all of you a wonderful holiday and a happy and prosperous New Year!

Advertisements

It’s beginning to look a lot . . .

wreath081

So we’re a little behind making our advent wreath.  I really thought that since last Sunday was still November, that this Sunday must be the first week of Advent.  Oh well – live and learn, right?  How often is it that four Sundays before Christmas is in November.  Oh well.  My daughter has been asking since Sunday when we would be making our wreath, so yesterday I finally trucked myself down to the dirty basement and dug out the supplies, and then traipsed up the driveway to cut some greens.  This year I also cut some sprigs from our holly.  I think it looks festive!  Of course, I have to actually stick the greens in, since the princess does not like the way they stick her hands.  She gets the job of adding the silk (aka non-prickly) flowers.  All in all, I think we did a pretty good job.  Our candles seem to have curved a little down in the basement over the summer, but they still work!  And, before anyone says anything, I know that four of the five have have not yet been burned.  Did I mention we dropped the ball a little bit last year too?  This year we’ll try to stay on top of things and light it each week!

Now, on to knitting.  Christmas knitting is coming right along.  I managed to finish a scarf for my husband’s pollyanna gift at work.  We’ll add a gift card to it, but this will bulk the gift up a little – and she specifically listed a scarf on her wish list. It still needs blocking (like most of my Christmas gifts), but we are getting closer.  I also managed to stiffen my angel ornaments over Thanksgiving weekend.  All 70 of them!  Stiff!!!

And, I’ve gotten back to the dreaded blue cardigan!  Now, I know that with Christmas knitting, this is no time to give in to the guilt that comes along with this project, but really, it just got to be too much.  Here’s the story – over a year ago, I promised a sweater to a friend of mine.  (A cardigan no less – pretty much my least favorite type of project – button bands – Ugh!)  Unfortunately, I decided that I didn’t need to bother with a silly thing like gauge – especially since I had made the pattern before – yes, it was nearly 10 years ago, but I’m better than that, right?  Dutifully, I knitted the pieces.  Yes, I thought they looked like they were coming up kind of wide, but that shouldn’t be that much of a problem, right?  It’s an oversized cardigan, anyway.  I managed to finish all five pieces (two fronts, a back and two sleeves, plus button band), and sewed the fronts to the back.  And then, thought again, “Wow, it really is looking kind of big”  Thought about it, and then hid it where I wouldn’t have to look at it, convincing myself that if I just sewed the side seems in a bit, it would work.  (Can we say, “Denial”?)  There is stayed for said year.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I did see my friend, and the dreaded cardigan, at least for me, was the elephant in the room.  I decided I MUST finish it.  So, out it came again.  I added one sleeve and then tried to see if I could hem in the sides a bit.  It was then that the full extent of my delusion well and truly hit me.  Truly, this cardigan was of giantess proportions.  I’m serious – this is NOT an exaggeration.  I think you would have to weight about 800 pounds to fit this thing.

Sad though it was, I decided that the only remedy (since I’m too thrifty to buy all new yarn) was to PULL THE WHOLE THING OUT!!! Yes, it’s true.  Actually, I didn’t pull it out all at once.  I pulled out half the back and started re-knitting (to gauge this time).  When I ran out of yarn, I frogged some more.

I’ve been interspersing pieces with my regularly scheduled Christmas knitting, and so far have finished the back (nice sense of accomplishment since it’s the biggest piece) and the left front.  I still have a nice size ball of yarn to start the right front before I have to start ripping the old giant-version original right front.

Here’s what I have so far:

bluecardiw

I will not be taking a comparison photo to show the original size – it’s just too embarrassing!

Hope everyone that celebrated had a great turkey day!!  When we count our blessings, we really do have so much for which to be thankful!  (PS – I did have “be thankful for,” but I kept hearing my high school English teacher’s voice in my head yelling about bad grammar.)